Re: [opensuse-factory] Timeline and roadmap V2
Hi,

I will try to summarize the main points:

1.- openSUSE Team want an integration process driven by the community, not by
us like it is now.
2.- oS Team wants to open the process and make, at the same time, design it in
a way that the main tasks can be done under volunteer basis.
3.- openSUSE Team want Factory to be "usable". This will allow us, among other
effects, to create a better Release for our users.
4.- To accomplish the above goals, we need to introduce some intrusive
changes. Some of them require research, not just development.
4.- openSUSE Team cannot deliver a Release (as 13.1) while introducing those
changes. we will keep Factory working though.
5.- openSUSE Team agrees that November is a good timing for releasing a
"result", as some of you suggested.
6.- Since openSUSE Team cannot predict today how that "result/release" will
look like, we defined a deadline for that definition. I share the concerns
about
uncertainty being negative.
7.- If some of you take over some (or all) of the tasks related with the
Release, that deadline can be moved (earlier) or even erased. It would be up
to those working on the Release.
8.- After this research/development phase the oS Team will go back to work on
the Release as usual, hopefully focusing our efforts in "users" after improving
Factory.

I see this period we are heading as an opportunity to deprecate some of the
technical problems we have been struggling with for some time. The more people
we have focusing in the new plan, the better. This is why we take engagement
in the development as one of the main topics.

If some of you prefer to work on the current Release, taking over part (or
all) of the work we usually do, or adapting the current process to your needs,
I think we (project) also win. it would be very good news.

The topics we are talking about are relevant so I think heated debates are
expected and even good. I just hope that we can focus the debate on the future
actions, instead of increasing the impact of the mistakes I have made in the
communication area or getting too personal.

I case you doubt it, let me be clear about this...

I am committed to the project and my colleagues too. openSUSE Team have not
changed his focus. The openSUSE Release (incl. Factory) is and will be our
main focus, like in the past.