Re: [opensuse-factory] DROP proposal: gsynaptics
On Saturday 30 of November 2013 18:58:47 Stefan Seyfried wrote:
It works fine here on openSUSE 12.3 on a computer with a synaptics
touchpad.
Well, 12.3 is not really the scope of this list :-)

Well, the only machine here with a touchpad has 12.3 installed.

Also, it displays the message "Using synclient" when it starts. Isn't
parsing synclient's output a way to guarantee compatibility for the
future, provided that the driver preserves the meaning of the parameters,
of course?
I have no idea. I was not getting the "using synclient" message but
something about not having SHMConfig configured (and that's a
configuration the driver does not know anymore AFAICT).

Yes, you're right. I had set this option in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-local.conf
and forgot about it.

If it works, fine. Then if people want to keep it, we just need to find
someone who maintains ist.

Just to make things clear, I have no use for it, because I call synclient
directly when synaptiks misbehaves. I was just wondering whether it would be
wise to keep it for inexperienced users because of bugs in synaptiks and
because touchpad configuration is critical when using a laptop. Of course, if
nobody else finds synaptiks buggy, there's no reason to keep gsynaptics.

Kind regards,
Peter