Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: mozilla:addons as develprj
On 16/11/13 23:46, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 11/16/2013 03:57 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 15/11/13 19:11, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 15.11.2013 07:35, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 15/11/13 07:50, Achim Gratz wrote:
Lars Müller writes:
Due to the 'Acceptable Ads' featured by adblock+ I suggest to consider
not to include it.
Oh come on, for as long as that (mis)feature exists there has been a
toggle box on the filter subscription page to disable it and happily
live without even the "acceptable" ads.

Regards,
Achim.
What you have to remember is that openSUSE is still has its short and
curlies in the firm grasp of Microsoft.

You don't think so?

Well, I suggested to a friend who is working on an important project
which will benefit thousands of disadvantaged people to use the
openSUSE's OBS. His reaction was - well, I won't embarrass you with it
but it left me in no doubt that openSUSE's association with Microsoft
has not been forgotten nor will ever be forgotten.

As the Actress said to the Bishop, "Trust once gone can never be
regained."

Basil, this is opensuse-factory not opensuse-gossip-sharing. Nothing of
what you said has anything to do with the thread, so behave!

Greetings, Stephan
I know that but you have to admit that openSUSE has a big PR problem.
And this is not gossiping but trying to point out something important.
The view "out there" is what I summarised above.

And its not going to go away when someone like Andrey Borzenkov posts
this 2 days ago in *this* list:

quote

What are you trying to achieve? openSUSE is using bootloader signed by
Microsoft, so it normally should not be necessary. Further verification
is done by this bootloader which already knows openSUSE key.

unquote

Passing on the beliefs of those who do not use openSUSE is not gossip
but stating reality. And if you or anyone else who considers this to be
"gossip" then accept my apologies (for stating the bleeding obvious).

Basil, you have no clue how secure boot works, please learn about it
before spreading FUD.

To get secure boot working on all systems, you sign the bootloader with
a key - and that one needs a trust relationship with one of the keys on
your system. And there's only one key on every system - the Microsoft one...

Andreas

Hi Andreas,

There are many things I know nothing, or very little, about. I have never claimed to be omnipotent.

But I do know many people, and they pass on to me what they think and what they hear from their associates. At least one of these people is an author of articles in a leading IT magazine.

While other distros may use the security key provided by Microsoft, nevertheless it is a fact that Novell - and openSUSE - got "into bed" with Microsoft and this stigmatic association has never left openSUSE whether you, or anyone else, like it or not.

Sometime ago there was a person hired who was an (?)industrial psychologist and who was to provide PR services to promote openSUSE. Sorry, but at the moment i cannot recall his/her name nor when his/her tenure started.

But when last week I got a message, the gist of which is above, then something has not gone right re the PR program.

I have been a user of openSUSE (nee S.u.S.E. Professional in the green box with a big, fat, Administration Guide) since ~2000 and have tried to promote it in my own way whenever able without sounding like an oS fanatic. i have expressed this to you in the past as you may remember.

But one cannot continue to do battle on behalf of oS with both hands tied behind one's back.

Andreas, I may have "no clue how secure boot works" but I wonder if you could tell me:

why is the name openSUSE, which started way back in 1992 under Mantel and friends, is little known or in greater use when compared to a 2004 upstart called Ubuntu/Kubuntu? Why is this so?

BC

-- Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 on a Lenovo T-series laptop.