Re: [opensuse-factory] USB installation instrucctions issues.
On 11/18/2013 09:02 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2013-11-18 15:28, Bernhard Voelker wrote:
On 11/18/2013 03:01 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Why would dd(1) not work? There's no issue known for it, neither in
openSUSE's bugzilla nor in the upstream 'coreutils' project. Please
provide more info.

I did when we discussed the instructions about a month or two ago.

Hi Carlos,

IIRC that was the "short read" issue, right?

Well, I can only say that dd(1) is quite a low-level tool with
much useful low-level functionality.
Unfortunately, it therefore does not meet the intuitive expectations
of many users regarding such short reads. If unsure, you can always
use iflag=fullblock.
BTW: that iflag option has been standardized only 2 years ago [1].

BTW2: someone should mention this issue in dd's wikipedia page [2].
Volunteers?

[1] http://austingroupbugs.net/view.php?id=406
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)

Have a nice day,