[opensuse-factory] dracut and LVM means no boot
  • From: auxsvr <auxsvr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2013 13:36:20 +0200
Hello,

Has anyone tested LVM with dracut? In my case, the initrd produced by
dracut in host-only mode, which is the default, does not include LVM
support at all, which I found out the hard way and took many hours to
recover from, by manually adjusting the initrd on another computer and
improvising when it aborted during boot. The initrd created in no-
hostonly mode does include LVM support, although it still cannot find
the LVM root, because the device mapper becomes confused, dm-linear
throws error messages:

dm-linear: Device lookup failed
ioctl: error adding target to table

and I must run:

dmsetup remove_all

before lvm vgchange -ay, otherwise the disks are treated as separate
volumes. In short, automatic boot with an LVM root is impossible at the
moment.

This is on latest factory, dracut-034-3.1, device-mapper-1.02.78-0.15.3,
lvm2-2.02.98-0.31.1.

Regards,
Peter