  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 02:42:16 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2013-11-07 at 23:20 +0100, Christian Boltz wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 7. November 2013 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

So, what exactly are the security risks I get into by opening local
PDF files (generated by reputable sources, such as governments) with
acroread in Linux? Can they be avoided or limited with a good
AppArmor profile?

I don't know about the exact security risks - maybe someone from the
security team knows more details.

With an AppArmor profile, you can make sure that acroread only reads
*.pdf files and doesn't read or modify random files on your disk. You
can also forbid networking - but this doesn't sound too useful when you
need to submit a form online ;-)

No, I don't need to submit forms online. That only works, AFAIK, on intranets. It needs a special adobe server and probably only works on the Windows version. I've never had the chance to try, anyway.

In fact, when I remember, I activate a firewall trick to block acroread from communicating on internet.

Anyway, I'll attach my AppArmor profile for acroread. It's not as tight
as it could be (and I'll probably do some changes to it now that I know
acroread won't get security updates anymore), but it's a good start.
Be warned that you will need to change it - for example I'm quite sure
your home directory is not /home/cb/ ;-)

It is a start, thanks.

Now that I think, the yast apparmour wizard has disappeared, so it is more difficult to adjust profiles.

Note: the profile only covers the binary, not the wrapper script.

Which is that?

If the danger is in the Firefox plugin, for instance, that can be
removed with less trouble.

Indeed, just zypper rm acroread-browser-plugin

I'd strongly recommend to do that (guess who split off this subpackage,
and why... ;-)

No idea...

But I already removed it some hours ago.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.