Re: [opensuse-factory] No more acroread? [WAS: Requesting people to test RC1 of RC2 or whatever]
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 12:15:02 +0100 (CET)

On Thursday, 2013-11-07 at 12:04 +0100, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 06.11.2013 14:21, Jon Nelson wrote:

Then something went wrong, because when I upgraded a 12.2 machine to
the latest 13.1 RC, I ended up with a bunch of orphaned packages - 20
or 30 at least - and none of them were locked.

Official 12.2 packages? If you install packages from 3rd party repos,
they will only be dropped if the solver sees no other way.

The list of orphaned packages is created from test cases.

I don't know if this is the case, but when you upgrade a machine with the offline, DVD, method, there are hundreds of packages not included in the DVD that can not be upgraded and are left from the previous version.

The user may not be aware that after a DVD upgrade he has to run zypper up and zypper dup. And even after doing that, there may remain packages from the previous release, or from other repos that have to be taken care manually.

The situation could be improved if we could add external repos during the DVD upgrade; you can, but in this case the online repos are prefered and _everything_ is installed from internet instead of taking what is available from the DVD, and only whatever is missing from outside. Changing the priority of the repos do not work.

Ie, we would need to add secondary sources, such that if a package exist on the DVD, it is used, even if older than what exist online. This is an specific situation, different than what yast needs to do on normal usage.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.