Re: [opensuse-factory] Upgrading from RC1 to RC2 from DVD iso
On 04/11/13 00:51, Bob Williams wrote:

On 03/11/13 12:48, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 03/11/13 20:43, Bob Williams wrote:

On 03/11/13 04:02, Basil Chupin wrote:
I decided to "upgrade" RC1 to RC2 by using the RC2 DVD iso I
downloaded a few days ago.

In doing so, the "upgrade" DELETED *all* of my existing
repositories listed in YaST leaving the DVD as the only
"repo".

Is this what is really supposed to happen?

BC

Is this the correct way to move from RC1 to RC2? When I installed
RC1 on my laptop it set up repositories such as

http://download.opensuse.org/distribution/13.1/repo/oss/
http://download.opensuse.org/update/13.1/ ... etc.

No mention of RC1 or RC2 in those paths.

I assumed that given the above repositories, zypper up would move
my installation seamlessly through RC1 -> RC2 -> GM

Have I missed something?
Don't know.....

I had RC1 installed and I, too, had the above repos plus several
others which I installed manually (eg, packman, videolan,....). I
also "moved" effortlessly from RC1 up to RC2 on a daily basis using
zypper.

But then today I decided to make sure that I in fact had RC2 and
decided to use the iso and envoke not the Installation option but
the (?)Upgrade Existing system. Doing so resulted in what I
described in my first post: ALL of my repos were deleted leaving me
with only the DVD and ~580MB of files were downloaded.

BC

Thanks Basil,

Just to confuse me (us?) further, download.opensuse.org/distribution/
has subdirectories for 11.4, 12.1, 12.2, 12.3 and 13.1-RC2, but not
plain vanilla 13.1. So I'm not sure what my repos are pointing at.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly :-)

I don't recall who it was who mentioned this but there is an internal (to openSUSE) redirection system in place which redirects "your" requests to the right repos.

Having said this, if you look at what you may have in 12.3 and type in repos shown there into the URL field in, say, Firefox you will see that some of them DO have 13.1 in their name. Not all, but some. You may not use this repo but I do and if you type in download.videolan.org/pub/SuSE/13.1 you will get what is destined for the final of 13.1.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 13.1, KDE 4.11.2 & kernel 3.11.6-3 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor