Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: Very slow loading of kernel/initrd with os12.3
On 06/03/13 17:52, Linda Walsh wrote:
Joschi Brauchle wrote:

Hm, well then I guess there is nothing to be done about this delay?
Is grub2 any faster than grub loading the initrd?
---
Using lilo and booting from disk avoids initrd all together.
My kernel finishes mounting the file systems and going to
the rc3 scripts in ...
[pruned]

AFter initial boot, about 15 seconds later
I have login via console or net.

Of that 15, about 7-8 seconds is cifs timing out because my workstations
no longer mount after the switch to smb2 -- which I still haven't figured
out...

so the game a whack-a-mole continues...

It really doesn't have to be all one way...

On my installation 12.3 RC2 boots VERY quickly and, after I type in my password, I get to the desktop screen within seconds.

BUT, but, it takes *forever* (?15 seconds) to get the Mixer, knemo, clipboard tool, and the HPLIP Status Service widgets to appear on the taskbar; the rest of the taskbar is populated as soon as the desktop appears following typing in the password.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.10.00 & kernel 3.8.2-1 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor