Re: [opensuse-factory] Re: 12.3 -- if it isn't too late....

On Monday 2013-03-04 09:27, Basil Chupin wrote:
Hi
It's a little more than a few KB's?

The following NEW packages are going to be installed:
binutils gcc gcc47 glibc-devel linux-glibc-devel make site-config

7 new packages to install.
Overall download size: 11.5 MiB. After the operation, additional 52.2
MiB will be used.

So? All these are on the DVD anyway and will take less than 30 seconds to
transfer and install.

It depends on more than just that. 5400 rpm hard disks, network connection (DVD
drives are dying out, I tell you). Things like that.

Gimp Help is 27MB big to 'download' and this is installed by default. And how
many people use Gimp?

I concur with your observation that gimp is perhaps "not so necessary",
but its presence is not directly a voucher for more packages either.

That reminds me of Fedora's package group selection box
http://tinyurl.com/cghdrc6 that allows you to fuzzily select the things you
want, without overthrowing users with a list of 1000+ packages.
If you want text processing (libreoffice is also fat), check Office.
If you want gimp, check Graphics.
If you want *DE, check its entry in the list, and so on.

But SUSE already has that in forms of patterns, IIRC. It is just that we have
"superpatterns" as well, which is the well-known choice

( ) KDE, ( ) GNOME, ( ) XFCE, ( ) Minimal X, ( ) Minimal Text

and so I reached the "oh fugged about it" point, because I recognize we are all
too lazy to go into the Software Dialog and deselect gimp and gcc and other
patterns we do not want. :)

Do what you will with the superpattern lists, I'm installing Minimal anyway,
because --recommends being default (over --no-recommends) already trips me up.