[opensuse-factory] Instructions on the wiki for creation a USB bootable stick may be wrong for 12.3
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <carlos.e.r@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 16:46:49 +0100 (CET)

At <http://en.opensuse.org/Live_USB_stick#Linux_instructions_3> it says:

+++··································

Bootable USB from DVD or Net-install
=====================================

Download one of the DVD or Net Installation images from
http://software.opensuse.org/

Linux instructions
- -------------------
Install syslinux/isohybrid
- ---------------------------

If you would like to boot the from a USB stick then you can make the ISO bootable by installing syslinux.

# zypper in syslinux
# isohybrid openSUSE-12.1-DVD-x86_64.iso

Once completed just follow whichever set of above LiveUSB instructions you like, and take care to read the Booting from USB-DVD section below afterward.

Apparently running isohybrid breaks booting (the iso contains two partitions, on a GPT structure, for use with UEFI). Those instructions in the wiki should be corrected.

Reference:

<http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/pre-release-beta/483696-12-3-rc2-64-bit-dvd-iso-doesnt-fit-dvd.html#post2530805>

I can attest that the USB stick (DVD image) without isohybrid boot fine in my BIOS only laptop.

- -- Cheers

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4, with Evergreen, x86_64 "Celadon" (Minas Tirith))
< Previous Next >