Re: [opensuse-factory] Tumbleweed, future directions
On 2013-03-02T10:29:57, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

No matter what, that is going to happen. I don't want to be separate
from the main openSUSE development stream, sorry. That would be
skirting all of the wonderful, and valuable, work that the distro
developers do all the time. And it would require me to do that work
instead, something that I sure don't have the time to do, and I doubt
very many other people do either.

Well, just to flog that horse one last time -

I don't mind that Tumbleweed switches with current. I don't mind that
updates to Tumbleweed stop immediately. I totally get that keeping
Tumbleweed live for a much longer time and updated is not likely.

I mind that it is a binary switch at an arbitrary point in time, and
that all history is gone immediately.

If the Tumbleweed repo stayed around for even 1-2 weeks - a month is
probably reasonable -, during which perhaps none or only highest urgency
security fixes were still merged for packages already in, otherwise at
least openSUSE base updates were still available anyway -, there'd be a
minimal amount of flexibility as to *when* one updates.

And if something breaks (because, admittedly, one was naughty and
didn't test the RCs due to other commitments), at least one could still
compare "So, what changed in that package between Tumbleweed-12.2 and
now?"

I don't think this would be a huge burden for you - as far as merging
the security fixes, I'd even volunteer -, since it mainly consists of
just leaving the repository around statically for 1 to 4 weeks of grace
period.

If someone needs longer to update, well, they can always buy SLED ;-)

I do want to go to 12.3 as soon as possible for me. But I really can't
always do it when the -current links switch.

</horse>

Ideally, I'd like to see Tumbleweed evolve into something like a
'factory-stable', cherry picking Factory so users can benefit from the
new versions on a stable, but rolling, platform, while still feeding
in any bugs or suggestions into the Factory development process, and
ultimately help make the whole distribution better, rather than
something else tacked on it's side.
Feel free to create a distro like that if you want, that's not my goal
here. I think you will find it a whole lot more work is involved in
doing something like this, sorry.

I've contemplated doing that. Basically, cherry-pick (like Tumbleweed),
but *eventually cherry-pick everything* (like a true rolling distro), so
that one would effectively be following stable (in due distance).

Problem with that is it's not always easy to disentangle, and isn't as
easy as "and now we merge package X", because sometimes additional
patches would be required if you're ready to accept X, but not yet Y.

I think that's the way to do a Linux distro (even a commercial one), but
my job doesn't leave enough time to do that. With the talk of Ubuntu
switching to a rolling model now, we'll see where that goes, maybe it'll
be fresh inspiration.

For the time being, Tumbleweed fills the role perfectly for me; openSUSE
with Libre Office and Firefox and a few other packages always uptodate
and someone else does the work, what more can I ask for ;-)

Regards,
Lars

--
Architect Storage/HA
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, GF: Jeff Hawn, Jennifer Guild, Felix Imend├Ârffer, HRB