[opensuse-factory] Re: why are raw scripts forced into /bin/sh instead of user's shell (a Suse patch to bash)
Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a. Dimstar wrote:
Whereas I sort of understand your point (I hope), I also have to say
that 'not specifying' the she-bang would leave you in a much worse
situation, as a user NOT running bash (but maybe ash, zsh, csh), would
execute your script and then fall flat on his nose... because the script
requires bash to execute (due to bashism).
----
I whole heartedly agree -- if it was anything other than
a personal, script in /tmp, I would add the #! line, but it was something
that was a 1-liner that grew.

But a script with no header, -- if I'm in a script-interpreter
shell like bash and I know it normally executes such in itself -- I think
it's perfectly reasonable for me to expect personal use to use the
normal default of the interpreter I'm using. It breaks BASH compatibility.
(Note, POSIX compatibility doesn't apply here, as I didn't ask for
a POSIX compatible shell).