  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 21:09:45 +0200
Am Donnerstag, 14. Juni 2012, 14:47:51 schrieb Brian K. White:
On 6/14/2012 8:35 AM, Stephan Kulow wrote:
On 14.06.2012 14:33, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Am 14.06.2012 12:19, schrieb Stephan Kulow:

To me the main reason to go there is that *other* people actually can
verify their work is good and that factory is usable and testable. If
that means we won't get new automake or new gcc soonish, I can accept
it. If someone really wanted either, they would know where to find it
and fix the problems.

But OTOH this might punish e.g. gcc for no good reason. Example: the
"zypper fails with gcc47" mess. Everyone blamed gcc47, but after looking
at the valgrind output, it looked to my untrained eye as if the zypper
code was the one to blame. But should the gcc guys have to fix others
crap just because they now trigger the broken code to actually break? I
have no answer for that.
No, but the ones wanting gcc updates should be the ones who tell the
zypp guys that the new gcc shows a problem in zypper and they should fix
it, so gcc update can continue.

It can't be that the gcc update is pushed into factory and then everyone
suffers.

Greetings, Stephan

How do the gcc guys find out that new gcc breaks zypper?

How does anyone find out that a change in their package somehow breaks
some other package?

Especially problems that only show up in run-time and don't break obs
building or packaging. I don't see how it can be their responsibility to
know all that.

Everybody could rebuild easily entire factory like :Factory is doing.
We would of course have a resource problem if everybody would do that,
so I would like to see that limited to just a few :Staging projects in parallel.

But technical everybody can. And esp. the gcc people are doing it upfront.
(IIRC Richard is doing it in our internal build service for build power
reasons though)

--
Adrian Schroeter
SUSE Linux Products GmbH