On 14.06.2012 10:46, Stephan Kulow wrote:
1. We need to have more people that do the integration work - this
partly means fixing build failures and partly debugging and fixing
bugs that have unknown origin.
Those will get maintainer power of all of factory devel projects, so
they can actually work on packages that current maintainers are unable
to.
2. We should work way more in pure staging projects and less in develop
projects. Having apache in Apache and apache modules in
Apache:Modules and ruby and rubygems in different projects may have
appeared like a clever plan when set up, but it's a nightmare when it
comes to factory development - an apache or ruby update are a pure
game of luck. The same of course applies to all libraries - they never
can have all their dependencies in one project.
But this needs some kind of tooling support - but I'm willing to
invest there, so we can more easily pick "green stacks".
My goal (a pretty radical change to now) is a no-tolerance
strategy about packages breaking other packages.

How about a multi-tiered Factory to address this and have all changes go into an openSUSE:Factory:Staging project and only migrate packages to openSUSE:Factory after a certain delay when they do not break others or introduce serious regressions. Factory would then ideally always build and thus make it easier to cut releases at fixed dates. I guess the downside would be increased fragmentation when it comes to testing.
--
Guido Berhoerster