Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Saturday 09 June 2012 11:27:08 Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Sat, 2012-06-09 at 00:20 -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:
On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 3:10 PM, Patrick Shanahan <paka@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
* M. Edward (Ed) Borasky <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx> [06-08-12 17:15]:

If I were designing the next round of openSUSE, I'd make only the KDE
LiveCD and full install DVD as official branded media and migrate
everything else to SUSE Studio Gallery appliances one could clone,
build and download. I wouldn't even store built appliances - let the
user use his/her own disk space allocation for that.

and the *only* new users to openSUSE will be geeks familiar with kiwi
and
very competent in linux arts.

Downloading a built appliance from SUSE Studio is only a little more
difficult than getting install media from
http://software.opensuse.org/121/en. The only extra step is having to
do a one-time signup and "join the community".

true, but it would be easier, if all of those iso's and images were
available for all, and not just for those with an account.

You don't need an account on Studio/Gallery to download.

Are you sure? When I'm not logged in, it asks me to sign in to
download my appliances. You can create an account with a few clicks
via OpenID, Google, Twitter, etc., but I think you still need one to
download.

In any case, IF we do this - Studio/Gallery would need some changes to make
for a better landing page for openSUSE visitors. I would want it to be
openSUSE branded and all that.

I believe that something like that could be arranged. After all, it'd be
nice for Studio promo too ;-)

Yeah ... SUSE Studio is "SUSE Corporate", not openSUSE. As I recall,
the core technologies are open source but the studio as a whole
contains some proprietary components. SUSE sells a supported version
of the studio to enterprises, in fact.

Maybe there needs to be a separate "openSUSE Studio Gallery" - remove
the SLE repositories, change the branding, don't require logins and
work with corporate to open source the technology.

--
Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.