Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 20:37:58 +0200
On Saturday 09 June 2012 22:33:16 Nelson Marques wrote:
s/KDE/GNOME/g

I like GNOME3. I *use* GNOME3. But I don't see a huge difference
between a Fedora GNOME3 and an openSUSE GNOME3. I think an
openSUSE
KDE can be sigificantly better than Fedora's KDE or Ubuntu's KDE, if
only because of the geographic proximity of some of the core team
members of the two projects.

99% of the universe still refuses to understand that GNOME3 isn't only
about the shell, but it's also a transiction from a traditional code
stack in C that now has a potent set of bindings to other high level
languages (python, java, etc).

Now this creates a lot more of possibilities for new people to enroll,
specially those who don't give a damn about low level stuff and only
want to get their applications. Look... What is easier to refactore,
low level C or python?

If you are skeptical... Do you see Canonical or Mint doing deep core
stuff? ;) Looks like they were the ones with the brains... while all
the others are just following God knows what...

There's also some core "semantic desktop" functionality (Nepomuk) in
KDE that hasn't been surpassed IMHO by anything GNOME, Unity, MATE or
Cinnamon have to offer. I don't think you can even get this on Windows
or a Mac - I've run that by the Nepomuk team and they say it's a lot
of engineering work.

KDE is nice, and my intention isn't to tackle KDE... it's just
claiming that GNOME has no place on a visible openSUSE it the worst
attrocity someone can do. I saw too many people looking forward to
vaporize GNOME2 out of the map... I hope it's clear now that was a
huge mistake... openSUSE is a dead stick if it doesn't change...
people need to be bald and agressive to move openSUSE into the
highlights... KDE isn't going to do that for us ;)

Nobody is - unless we can put in significant effort in one or the other
desktop, it doesn't matter much and we better stick with both. IF we would
be capable of doing something akin to what Ubuntu used to do to GNOME
(before Unity), either to GNOME or KDE - then, yes, focus would be nice. But
until that day we should keep the choices close to the users.

Imho :D