Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: "M. Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 14:27:00 -0700
On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 2:08 PM, Ilya Chernykh <anixxsus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 10 June 2012 00:59:42 M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

Rank  Distribution    H.P.D*
1     Mint    4081<
2     Ubuntu  2205>
3     Fedora  1703=
4     Mageia  1472>
5     Debian  1390=
6     openSUSE        1386>

It's a numbers game and openSUSE's numbers are terrible. We have a
strong community, SUSE Gallery, OBS and as far as I know the corporate
side is doing acceptably well on the business metrics - revenues,
expenses and competitive positioning in the enterprise. Why are we
behind Mageia and Debian?

I think Mageia received sone additional coverage recently due to current
events.

For that matter, how did Mint manage to pass
Ubuntu?

By providing Mate, a fork or Gnome2?
They also provide Cinnamon, but as I know it is not  widely used yet.

I haven't tried MATE yet - GNOME3 fallback mode is as good as GNOME2
as far as I'm concerned. I have tried Cinnamon, though, and it didn't
strike me as significantly better than GNOME3. They're all a lot
better for my workflow than Unity.

I'm guessing it was Unity in 11.10 that gave Mint the window to build
a new desktop and grab market share. Or maybe it was the combination
of the desktop and having a rolling release Debian option. Ubuntu
doubled-down on Unity, though.

At the moment, I'm spending about half of my time in Fedora and half
in openSUSE, both on GNOME3 with occasional forays into LXDE. The
Fedora time isn't so much because of the desktops as it is the fact
that I'm diving into OpenStack IaaS and Platform-as-a-Service, and
Fedora's a good bit ahead of openSUSE in those areas. I'm guessing
12.2 will be fully caught up on OpenStack, but so far there's nothing
in openSUSE like OpenShift (RHEL / Fedora) or Cloud Foundry (Ubuntu).

Twitter: http://twitter.com/znmeb Computational Journalism Server
http://j.mp/compjournoserver

Data is the new coal - abundant, dirty and difficult to mine.