Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2012 19:11:35 +0100
It's somewhat buried as I recall ... and of course it requires a
network connection or you have to do it over when the machine comes
up. Ubuntu now explicitly encourages network connectivity during
install but will work without it. Fedora sometimes asks for it and
sometimes doesn't; I haven't figured out how it decides. If you boot
it into the desktop and enable a network with NetworkManager, Fedora
will remember the settings onto your installed system, which I think
is nifty. ;-)

I really think the strategy after 12.2 should be:

1. Take a leaf out of Ubuntu's book. Provide the absolutely best KDE
700MB LiveCD / Installer we can and feature the heck out of it! Add an
app store like Ubuntu has, even!

s/KDE/GNOME/g

2. If you have network during an install, measure its speed and offer
the user alternate desktops with a warning on how long the install
will take. Offer the non-OSS components at install time like Ubuntu
does.

What happens if you don't ? Which will be a lot of cases if you
consider a 'worldwide' panorama :)

3. Provide the rest of the install media via our "other app store",
SUSE Studio Gallery.

Do that, and prepare for worldwide boycott :)