Re: [opensuse-factory] simplicity, WAS: About the Live CDs (PLEASE READ)
2012/6/8 Hans Witvliet <suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 16:39 -0700, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

 Personally I think both Fedora and openSUSE have way too many
options. Simplicity is a big "selling" point!

That is entirely other issue...
afaicr this was discussed in another thread some time ago.

But perhaps they might reconsider the amount of experience of the user
who installs suse for the first time.

Perhaps the default installer should only ask two questions:
1) Are you an experienced Linux user [default off]
2) Are you sure to modify the content of the hard disk [default off]

If you blindly hit the enter key, nothing will happens (just be be safe)

It's nice that the install process is being reviewed, I would like to
request 2 things to be considered:

* Don't follow Mint: this means give all storage options and advanced
options for users (though you can work on user friendly defaults); Not
being able to set/define LVM volumes on the default installer sucks...
Mints sucks a lot because of that too :)

* When you do 'EDIT' for advanced or custom partitioning, the
defaults shown are the ones suggeted by the system, which leads users
to press 'Refresh' in order to get the 'real' state of their
hard-drive. This is futile in my opinion and adds an extra step. If
one goes advanced it would be a better option (in my opinion) to have
the default layout of the drive instead of the suggested on as base
for users to setup things.