On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 14:53 +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-06-07 14:43, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012, 14:32:33 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

Many people using the CD do so because of limited bandwidth. Those
people could never use a network install.

They will have to download the data at some point, be it a CD image or
net install.

Downloading a CD slowly is possible. A fist install that slowly is
impossible.

If we go to the USB stick, then IMO, we would also need a single CD
install/rescue image. XFCE, for example.

Have you tried an USB rescue on a slow computer? The CD boots reasonably
fast, the USB takes minutes to only load the kernel.

Actually, it is more about the usb-port.
We work a lot with bootable usb-sticks, and had sone issue's with it.
usb-3.0 (fastest) is something you will not find much
usb-2 is reasonably fast, usb-1 is really slow.

Most PC's (less than 5 years old) will have usb-2, BUT:...
If you happen to use an usb-switch OR have multiple usb-devices that
draw quite some miliamps, you will find out that the port falls back
from usb-2 to usb-1.
But even then, i think it is faster then a cdrom....

hans