On Thu, 2012-06-07 at 14:43 +0200, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012, 14:32:33 schrieb Carlos E. R.:

On 2012-06-07 12:07, Sven Burmeister wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012, 07:57:10 schrieb Stephan Kulow:
So I wonder: should we screw the medium CD and go officially for 1GB
sticks as our medium? (or require DVD medium for non-usb).

IMHO there is no need for a Live CD to be available for everybody, the
only thing that needs consideration is whether an "install CD" is
still needed.

There would still be the netinstall variant, would it not? So people
can still download that and burn it to a CD to start from there.

Many people using the CD do so because of limited bandwidth. Those people
could never use a network install.

They will have to download the data at some point, be it a CD image or net
install. If they download the image somewhere else they might as well use a
DVD or USB stick to transfer the files and do not need a CD either.

Actually, those people will _gain_ by it:
If they download a live-cd/dvd, it will contain packages they might
never need.

When they do a net-install, they only download the packages they really
opt for, nothing else.

The only catch might be, when they need to install in such area the
software on a lot of systems. But even then there are ways to avoid
downloading a package twice...

hw