Re: [opensuse-factory] Xorg will not load with Opensuse 12.2 beta1
  • From: Tobias Klausmann <tobias.johannes.klausmann@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 14:59:41 +0200
On 07.06.2012 13:33, Juan Erbes wrote:
2012/6/6 Graham Anderson <graham@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Wednesday 06 Jun 2012 16:14:56 Per Jessen wrote:
Juan Erbes wrote:
The last saturday I installed Opensuse 12.2 beta1 on my pc (Phenom 2
X4 965 mobo Gigabye GM880-USB4, with 4 GB of memory and a ATI Radeon
HD 5670, the mobo has a ATI HD4250 graphical chip, disabled on the
bios), and is impossible to load Xord with KDE)

I got the error:

No screens found

I tryed to use the propietary fglrx driver, but first it colud'nt
compile, and later after aplly 2 patches to the fglrx sources, it
compiled, but when I tryed to load the module I got an "undefined
symbol" error..

Later I tryed with the kernel 3.3 from the repo factory-tested, and I
tryed again with the fglrx driver wthout the parches, and it compiled
ok, but when I try to load Xorg, I got a segmentation error.

Yesterday, I made a update of the system changing the repos to factory
and tryed again wth the open source driver radeon, and I got again the
same error of the begining:

No screens found

What's hsappened with Sax?
I do'nt found it on the system.
SaX has been gone since 11.2 - I seem to remember a project trying to
resurrect it though.
I think Manu Gupta was working on Sax3, but as a proprietery Nvidia user I am
unsure about the status.

Yesterday I installed the 2 drivers (, and see what's happened
xorg-x11-driver-video-radeonhd-1.3.0_20100512_80ba041-10.4.x86_64.rpm
and
xf86-video-ati-6.14.4-2.1.x86_64.rpm

Yet, at least loads kdm, and if I try to login as user or root,
reloads the same screen.

I attached again the actual Xorg.0.log.

Thanks,
Juan
Don't know if it helps, but i had to choose my desktop before login, otherwise it would reset to kdm. The normal "KDE Plasma Workspace" solved this, had to do this only once. But try using the ati drivers as recommended :>