Re: [opensuse-factory] Anyone dualbooting 12.1 and 12.2?
  • From: Hendrik Woltersdorf <hendrikw@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 17:45:51 +0200
Am 06.06.2012 11:04, schrieb Felix Miata:

I've been subscribed to the help-grub mailing list for several years,
which results in a lot of bug mail from Grub's bug tracker, in
addition to help mail traffic.

Grub 2 development seems to have proceeded much like KDE4. Grub 2.0
appears to be about where KDE 4.0 was, or maybe 4.2 or 4.3,
considerably short of 4.8, which for many KDE3 users still isn't good
enough.

Grub 2 changes are also rather radical, including incompatible naming
and menus. There remains too much to be done for me to attempt to use
Grub 2 at all, as there's nothing I need from Grub Legacy that it
cannot provide. I have no EFI or LVM systems. I don't encrypt
partitions. With RAID I put Grub on non-RAID /boot partitions. I have
upwards of 30 operable systems, nearly all of which are multiboot, and
work satisfactorily with Grub Legacy, and in many cases, IBM Boot
Manager as primary bootloader.

Grub 2 is a mini OS that needs to be coupled to an installed OS, where
many files and scripts must live, unlike Grub Legacy. With Legacy, I
can boot a live media, copy a small handful of files to a HD
partition, make a menu.lst and device.map there, and install to a
partition from a Grub prompt, leaving me a working bootloader on that
HD, even though no OS has yet been installed. Nothing like that
simplicity is possible with Grub 2.

For the best possible user experience, I suggest investigating use of
AiR-Boot as an alternative to Grub 2 for those whose needs cannot be
met via Grub Legacy, and considering the possibility that for some
common environments Grub Legacy may indefinitely remain preferable to
Grub 2.

I have 12.2 with grub2 and 12.1 with grub legacy running on a laptop, I
use for testing.
Chainloading works so far with some minor issues with
plymouth/nomodeset/disk encryption.

After I enabled plymouth (set theme, ... mkinitrd ...), it works
without these problems; at least for me.

regards,
Hendrik