Re: [opensuse-factory] Anyone dualbooting 12.1 and 12.2?
  • From: Michael Chang <mchang@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 15:48:06 +0800
2012/6/2 Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
On 2012/06/01 18:15 (GMT+0200) Martin Schlander composed:

Fedora 15's Legacy Grub users cannot chainload from 15 to F16's or F17's
Grub 2. I've yet to notice a parallel mention for openSUSE on the Factory or
English lists.

One possibility is the boot sector is empty, due to FC's grub2 not
support installing to partition boot sector?

Would you point me to those list? I'm quite interested. :)

As long as you don't write Grub 2 to the MBR like its upstream devs insist
is the only place it should be installed, you should always be able to reach
anything else from Grub Legacy, even if that means manually from a Grub
prompt. What you see in menu.lst stanzas can be typed at a Grub prompt to
boot any kernel/initrd you know to look for, regardless what Grubs are
installed anywhere. The only catch with Legacy might possibly be with an
older BIOS you may want a /boot or / that's out of reach above the LBA28
access limit.

I could tell that the transition from legacy grub to grub2 is very
conservative. We don't drop any scenario to make grub2 work .. instead
we try to keep as much as possible we offered for legacy grub.

So openSUSE don't force you to follow upstream to install on MBR, you
still follow the same proposed settings for legacy Grub and they work
transparently for Grub2. You are also free to change setting ..
although they are not guarantee to always work. :)

The purpose of the transition is not to have you disappoint to drop
your scenarios you used to with legacy grub. What we want is a living
upstream, better support for file systems/multi-path and a better
configuration systems and so on .. those won't conflict with the
usability.

So if you found anything deficiency for Gurb2 that legacy Grub could
offer, please feel free to file a bug. :)