Re: Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting Plymouth to work in Beta 1
  • From: Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2012 10:08:03 +0200
RHEL has it, not sure about Fedora, F17 doesn't install with my
partition layout (openSUSE does though ;))

I installed Fedora 17 in a virtualbox to test further. I am quite
impressed with the startup speed, but I also looked carefully at the
Plymouth behavior. And what I can see is similar to what we have on
openSUSE, namely:

1) There is a small flicker happening between Grub2 and Plymouth. This
is a shorter flicker than on openSUSE, due to the fact that Fedora is
initializing deviced inside the Plymouth startup scripts.

2) There is a black screen between Plymouth and KDM. However the
question arises if this is indeed a flicker/black screen, as that
there is a mouse pointer visible which indicates that KDM is loading.

Can this black screen have it's origins on VT switch from 1 to 7 ?
Everyone else moved X session to vt1, I'm pretty sure there's
something behind it, maybe asking Strode would be a good idea, of all,
he's the one who probably knows it.

As indicated above also Fedora has the small flicker in between Grub
and Plymouth. Working on VT 7 doesn't influence this, but it points
all to the fact that as soon as Grub starts loading the initrd, it's
graphical screen is disabled and then it waits until Plymouth starts.

If I recall correctly from the docs in 2010, plymouth should exit
without refreshing the screen (thus keeping the last image on the
display) and X needed to be restarted with a switch (-r if I recall
correctly) so it doesn't refresh the screen in order to keep the
'frozen' screen image from plymouth exit until GDM loads up.

It seems that the question is more how fast can GDM/KDM loads its
graphical screen. Maybe an idea would be to see if GDM/KDM can kill
plymouth at a later stage, but I am not sure about that.

Regards

Raymond