Re: Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting Plymouth to work in Beta 1
Le lundi 04 juin 2012 à 15:19 +0200, Raymond Wooninck a écrit :
On Monday, June 04, 2012, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
What I see is that the screen turns black, but at that moment I also have
a mouse cursor already active., so GDM must be active and busy loading
the graphics (background, menu, etc). I am not sure how we can optimize
this further unless we find a way to make GDM switch off plymouth only
when it has finished loading everything.

This is the way it is supposed to work: if gdm is handling plymouth
shutdown, it should not be done at systemd / initscript level. I
guess /etc/init.d/xdm should be modified to terminate plymouth when not
starting gdm / kdm (if we have the needed support in kdm) but only when
starting xdm (or maybe lxdm, not 100% sure about its status).

At this moment openSUSE would offer at least 3 DM's that are aware of
plymouth
and can handle it correctly. These are GDM, KDM and lightdm. I guess xdm is a
different case, but I am not sure if openSUSE provides a desktop that uses a
different displaymanager than the three indicated.

I have to checkout the Fedora release, but as far as I know they do not have
this "black screen" when starting up KDM/GDM. So somehow here the loading of
the graphics is faster or they are doing something different.

black screen usually means X wasn't started with "-background none" as
an option (it is up to GDM / KDM to add this to X server command line,
if they detected plymouth was running.

--
Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx>
SUSE