Re: Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Getting Plymouth to work in Beta 1
On Monday, June 04, 2012, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
What I see is that the screen turns black, but at that moment I also have
a mouse cursor already active., so GDM must be active and busy loading
the graphics (background, menu, etc). I am not sure how we can optimize
this further unless we find a way to make GDM switch off plymouth only
when it has finished loading everything.

This is the way it is supposed to work: if gdm is handling plymouth
shutdown, it should not be done at systemd / initscript level. I
guess /etc/init.d/xdm should be modified to terminate plymouth when not
starting gdm / kdm (if we have the needed support in kdm) but only when
starting xdm (or maybe lxdm, not 100% sure about its status).

At this moment openSUSE would offer at least 3 DM's that are aware of plymouth
and can handle it correctly. These are GDM, KDM and lightdm. I guess xdm is a
different case, but I am not sure if openSUSE provides a desktop that uses a
different displaymanager than the three indicated.

I have to checkout the Fedora release, but as far as I know they do not have
this "black screen" when starting up KDM/GDM. So somehow here the loading of
the graphics is faster or they are doing something different.

I know that the "black screen" between grub and plymouth is caused by the
moment where plymouth is started within the initrd sequence. However plymouth
is depending on the creation of devices (udev step), and I am not really sure
if we want to go toward the direction where the plymouth script is creating
the console devices, etc (like Fedora is doing),.

But this could always be targetted for the 12.3 release.

Regards

Raymond