Re: [opensuse-factory] Proposal to replace default scim/ibus input methods in ISOs with alternatives.
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 20:01:55 +0800
On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 6:16 PM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Le vendredi 11 mai 2012, à 12:04 +0200, Takashi Iwai a écrit :
At Fri, 11 May 2012 11:56:37 +0200,
Vincent Untz wrote:
My point is that if GNOME relies on ibus in GNOME 3.6, then openSUSE
12.3 will have ibus on the DVD again because of GNOME. Just something to
keep in mind.

IMO, dropping ibus from DVD is very unlikely option for 12.2 (I guess
you meant this? ;)  Using other IMs for some locales as the default is
of course a different question.

However, I'm a bit worried how tightly GNOME will be bound with ibus.
I don't know the detail at all, so I'm writing just from the
sensational title line.  But I guess no hard-dependency is introduced
(hopefully), if it's only about the configuration changes of ibus per
gnome-settings-daemon?

And if we're unhappy about GNOME going this way -- which is fine --
then now is the best time to raise objections upstream. But I can't do
that since I don't enough about input methods.

If you know any development there, please let us know.  At least, it'd
be good if anyone can suggest these guys that lots of people are not
using ibus but other IMs.

You might want to contact the person who's working on this upstream:
 Rui Tiago Cação Matos <tiagomatos@xxxxxxxxx>

Looking at https://live.gnome.org/ThreePointFive/Features/IBus I see
that we now have some git branches for the work and this commit makes me
believe it's going to be an optional build time dependency at least, if
not a hard dependency:
 http://git.gnome.org/browse/gnome-settings-daemon/commit/?h=wip/input-sources&id=cdffffe6956f7805298e29aa26d53bf917bbc348

To be on the safe side, I think we would enable ibus in our packages so
that'd be like a hard dependency...

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.

an optional build time dependency is just okay, we can split another
sub-package. but hard cored? they must be insane.

I'll ask fcitx developer to evaluate it. and discuss with its
developer since I know nothing about coding.

and I suggest Mr Takashi send an email too, stands for our
distribution. any hard-coded no-used packages would be rude to our end
users.

Marguerite