Re: [opensuse-factory] syslog-ng and UsrMerge
Hello,

On 05/02/2012 06:41 PM, Robert Schweikert wrote:
On 05/02/2012 12:07 PM, Peter Czanik wrote:
Hello,
There is a sr for syslog-ng to move it from / to /usr as part of the
UsrMerge project. In theory it makes syslog-ng packaging a lot more
simple. In practice, the latest syslog-ng is often recompiled on older
distribution versions (think about threading, mongodb output,
correlation, etc.), where UsrMerge is not supported . So simply
accepting the sr does not seem to be an option, as I don't want to
maintain separate spec files...

Are you implying that bugs in older versions can only be fixed by upgrading to a new version, which also happens to change the location of libraries? This woudl appear like a broken maintenance model to me.
No :-) But many people choose not to upgrade their entire operating system, but update syslog-ng to its latest version because of its new features. I mentioned a few examples above: full threading, which can speed up a central syslog-ng server considerably, mongodb support, which allows storing any name value pairs coming from patterndb parsing, etc.

Question:
- should I ignore UsrMerge until <12.1 distros are EOL

You would really have to ignore usr merge until EOL of everything less than 12.3 (I do not think we'll get everything moved for 12.2). Thus, this really wouldn't help.

- rework syslog-ng.spec based on this sr to have UsrMerge for >12.1 but
not for earlier releases?

Makes me wonder why this would be necessary. People pulling packages from the devel project onto older distributions have signed up for the "painful road" to maintaining their system and better know what they are doing. In any event, the changes to the spec file maintain a link from /sbin to /usr/sbin and from /lib{64} to /usr/lib{64}, thus libraries and executables should still be found by anyone/anything looking in the "old" places.
Good to know. But it would still break systems with a separate /usr partition, I suppose. And syslog-ng is a typical server application, where old fashioned /usr partition still often happens... I'll check this tomorrow.
Bye,
CzP