[opensuse-factory] Gold
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 19:40:22 +0200
List,

I propose using the gold linker as a default for Factory for C++ projects.

There are some packages that might not build with it but for the most part I
would imagine no significant issues.

Tangible benefits:

(*) Build service builds should be generally faster:-
gold's sole purpose is to link faster than the gnu linker
(*) LTO - gcc lto and gold linker work really well together

Cons:

(*) Some large projects are known to build or not build depending on
version (gold bug or other project bug unknown)
(*) people don't like change

I spotted chromium taking advantage of gold already, where else can we
leverage it to gain a few extra spare build hosts for other stuff?

< Previous Next >