Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-factory (761 mails)
|< Previous||Next >|
Re: [opensuse-factory] Should implement systemwide automounting
- From: "Dominique Leuenberger a.k.a DimStar" <DimStar@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 16:14:00 -0400
- Message-id: <20120403161400.Horde.WZccSUQ7_k5Pe1oIHUkHchA@webmail.new.leuenberger.net>
Quoting Ilya Chernykh <anixxsus@xxxxxxxxx>:
No! Removing systemwide automounting is a major feature regression.
Not all people use KDE or Gnome. They also use IceWM, OpenBox, Enlightenment,
pure console and anything else. And they also want USB drives automounted.
Not to say that functionality and consumed resources are doubled when automounting
is handled by the desktop.
Also note that udisks compatibility is not guaranteed between the releases and
it is much easier to to change one place than multiple.
from where I stand I see two solutions for you (I'm serious):
1) You ask udisks2 upstream developer to stop their efforts and invest their time in udisks1 or any other auto-mount solution you favor. Then you ask any other upstream project that switched so far to udisks two to change to your favorite automounter
2) We drop udisks2 in Factory in favor of whatever you choose as automounter. And YOU will personally take care that every piece of software we get from any random upstream works with the by you chosen automounter.
If none of those options appeal to you, then PLEASE realize that even though not every decision does make sense to one individual, some others might see a sense in it.
Apropos rewrite: been there done that! Sometimes you ust realize that the the architecture and design you chose at one point for your app/lib is simply not maintainable.. (see grub vs grub2 as an example). For further innovation, you have to be able to let go of the past.
Step back, take a deep breath and don't try to be too self-defensive and quick-fingery when answering... you could as well type code snippets with the same amount of keystrokes, which would be a much better way of investing energy.
Dominique / DimStar
To unsubscribe, e-mail: opensuse-factory+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxx
To contact the owner, e-mail: opensuse-factory+owner@xxxxxxxxxxxx
|< Previous||Next >|