Re: [opensuse-factory] to tmp-on-tmpfs or not tmp-on-tmpfs
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 13:19:33 +0200
Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On 03/30/2012 11:04 AM, Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
- For users, implement what Lnussel and fcrozat suggested, a separate
tmp per user in /run/<user>/ tmpfs. Otherwise temporary file creation
bugs will keep biting us forever.

I'm in favor of a per user $TMPDIR. I didn't say I like having it in
/run/ ie tmpfs. tmpfs of course has the advantage of avoiding
fragile and racy cleanup operations, at least on systems
with short uptimes. In fact I use tmpfs myself for /tmp on my EEE PC
with SSD. I don't use that system for any serious work though. I
doubt it is a good idea for a general purpose installation to put
TMPDIR on tmpfs. So I'd rather like to see TMPDIR per user, on
persistent storage. The exact location would be the next
controversial subject then though I guess :-)

I blogged about this thread:
http://jaegerandi.blogspot.de/2012/03/tmp-as-tmpfs-for-opensuse.html

Lennart commented on my post with two points - one adressing your
point above and the other that it's easy to revert the default:

"AJ, if you want private /tmp directories for users, I'd suggest to
use kernel namespaces for that (there's a PAM module for that),
instead of relying on $TMPDIR. This might break a few things which
expect that /tmp is shared though, but is more comprehensive and
secure, and leaves $TMPDIR to the admin and user (Which I think is a
good thing). It also mimics more closely what we do for services with
PrivateTmp=yes.

Well, for services this may make sense but for user sessions the
namespace for /tmp doesn't answer the question whether to use tmpfs or
if not where to store the local tmp. Also a namespace on /tmp would
permanently hide the real /tmp from the user, right?

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_ Ludwig Nussel