Re: [opensuse-factory] Udisks2
On 30/03/12 15:35, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 30/03/12 00:02, Ilya Chernykh wrote:

There is a very much negative review of udisks2
http://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/03/11/udisks2-another-loss-for-linux/
which claims that udisks2 is a Gnome-specific tool and will render many applications
incompatible until rewritten.

If this is true I would very much oppose including udisks2 in openSUSE without a thorough
preparation.

that article is bullshit, it provides no technical rationale on why it is wrong and what can be done about it.

"This has become a trend in Linux � increasing use of convoluted and buggy library APIs and mostly-broken security mechanisms, the abandonment of simple command line interfaces, and continuous breakage due to usage and API changes. This effectively turns Linux into Windows, "

arghh.. deal with it.. I have hear that many times, that is an old dogma that wont help us move any further.

Note: it costed a much effort to adapt KDE3 to udisks instead of hal but for now it heavily
depends on udisks1 functionality. I suspect porting to udisks2 will again need a rewrite.

No, it will make you realize what a huge waste of time and resources it is to maintain a dead rotting desktop envirnonment as KDE3.

We have warned you many times about how futile is to beat-a-dead-horse , but apparently fell in deaf ears.

May I please ask what your position is within the openSUSE organisation - that is, where are you positioned in the hierarchy of decision makers in the openSUSE organisation?

Or perhaps you could point me to a source which provides such a list of decision-makers in openSUSE (which would be even better).

Thank you.

BC

--
Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?