[opensuse-factory] new package - ext4magic
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 18:09:03 -0400

ext4magic has recently been accepted into factory.

It is a data recovery tool for ext4 filesystems. The license is GPL-2.0+

It is meant to be used against unmounted filesystems.

Per the author:
For me, the program and its functions completed tested and stable
up to 16TByte filesystem size. 64Bit file systems are not implemented.

Not tested at the moment:
- the new library releases form last 2 Weeks libmagic and libext2fs
- file systems written with new Kernel (only testet written with 2.6 Kernel)
- BigEndian CPUs not testet very extensively

I think opensuse is the first distro to have this tool in it.

This is part of my effort to bring DFIR (digital forensic / incident
response) apps to factory. This is likely one of the few that will
have broad appeal to users.