Re: [opensuse-factory] gcc47, Go language, gold linker
  • From: Graham Anderson <graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 13:27:56 +0100
On Monday 19 Mar 2012 11:16:54 Richard Guenther wrote:
The much bigger issue is that the two Go compilers are not ABI compatible.
So IMHO for openSUSE we have to choose one

Yes, we provide .a package archives in our third party go packages and they
are very different between gccgo and 6g.

(though I understand in Go you are supposed to always re-compile the
libraries you use with your program).

This was only necessary while the build tool was in development, now you can
just build against go .a libs. If the build tool determines that the packages
are stale it will try to rebuild from source.

In practice it doesn't matter much because the build time is pretty fast (at
least with 5,6,8g).

And no, switching the default linker to gold is not a good idea IMHO
given its lack of architecture support for s390 and ia64 (I suppose
only x86 and arm are well-tested, not idea about the powerpc state).

Ok, if gold doesn't support all the archs the distro builds for then this
would seem to be a compelling arguement to have any gccgo frontend managed
somewhere under devel:languages:go