Re: Re: Re: [opensuse-factory] Plymouth update: One step further, but graphical session runs on tty1
2012/2/16 Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke@xxxxxxxxx>:
Hi Nelson,

Doesn't plymouthd supports a '--tty' argument ?

Well it does. However it seems that for openSUSE we need to follow a little
different specification for the argument. During the build process you can
indicate which tty's to use for boot and shutdown. It should be enough to just
use tty1 or tty7.  However this results in the text mode boot that I indicated
in my email.

Today I got a step closer as that it seems that I need to specify the full
patch (/dev/ttyX).  With this I have now plymouth running on tty7 (and of
course also the Graphical session).  I still have to test what effect this
will have on the transistion from GRUB to Plymouth, but at least we can now
choose on which tty plymouth should run.

At the moment I see two outstanding issues which would prevent switching to
Plymouth (besides the necessary Artwork).  The first issue would be with
encrypted disks. Plymouth comes to the point to ask the passphrase, but
something goes wrong here. Currently I am trying to patch cryptsetup to have a
kind of plymouth support here.

Please check this from Jeff's repo, I think he has sorted this in the past:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/files?package=cryptsetup&project=home%3Ajeff_mahoney%3Abetterbooting

boot.crypto-plymouth

Hope it helps, a lot of work has been done by Jeff on the past, maybe
some of the answers for what you need are there ;)

NM

The second issue is with suspend/hibernate. As was indicated already at the
beginning, these two rely on splashy for their splashscreen. With the help of
Frederic Crozat, we have now a patch for suspend which should bring us
plymouth support for suspend/hibernate. I still need to test this.

So it seems that every day we are getting closer and closer to a situation
where I can submit the changes to Factory to enable Plymouth support.

Regards

Raymond

Nelson Marques

/* http://www.marques.so