[opensuse-factory] Re: Proposal for 12.2, move all binaries under /usr
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 03:12:30 +0100
Ruediger Meier wrote:
On Thursday 24 November 2011, Michal Kubeček wrote:
On Wednesday 23 of November 2011 19:51EN, Greg KH wrote:
As a proposal for 12.2, I would like to implement the move of all
binaries to /usr/ like is being done at the moment in Fedora.

It's a bit surprising but after thinking about it, I must say I like
the idea. At least I won't have to check whether the interpreter is
in /bin or /usr/bin when writing scripts...

Except that you should still use for example /bin/bash regardless
whether it's only a link to /usr/bin/ if you want to be compatible with
most other systems.

For portable scripts it's better to use #!/usr/bin/env bash.
Then it runs on FreeBSD, too. (There bash is in /usr/bin.)
The same goes for Perl,

This reminds me of an old quote of Larry Wall:

Drew Mills writes:
: A contest to see who could write the most useful script that
: could actually be used in the most languages *as is* [...]

I've written some scripts that work in 582 different languages,
all of them named sh.

You need to be old enough to have seen old Perl's Configure script
that cared for Eunice to understand that quote, though... ;-)

Joachim Schrod Email: jschrod@xxxxxxx
Roedermark, Germany