Re: [opensuse-factory] KPackageKit's purpose
On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 09:26:47AM +0100, Tim Edwards wrote:

On Monday, November 21, 2011 7:19 AM, "Stefan Seyfried"
<stefan.seyfried@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 21.11.2011 00:51, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

it is possible to alter /etc/zypp/zypp.conf to set this as default,
download in advance.

Actually this is default for quite some time IIUC.

I don't have the netbook with me now to check what was set but it
doesn't protect you if you restart the machine in the middle of it
*installing* the updates, which as far as I can tell is what I did
(unknowingly).

That's not the only issue.

Consider you have a X11 session running and then parts of your desktop
environment get upgraded. I've seen this causing hanging KDE sessions
several times.

Microsoft Windows does it the right way. They download in background
(even slowing the speed down if the link is congested) and with the next
shutdown they apply the updates.

Yes, even this approach has disadvantages. But to me it sounds like the
most safest one.

At least we have to lock the system agains reboots while updates are
applied.

The alternative is to apply updates if available before we allow the
login from the display manager.

It would be nice if the admin is able to decide between apply updates on
shutdown, apply them on boot up, or apply them only on request.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team