Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel boot parameters by default, feature 312962
On Thursday, November 10, 2011 02:08:24 PM Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 12:13:01PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:52:32PM +0100, Joerg Mayer wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 08:05:21AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 07:53:43AM -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
Yeah, it does look like this is the best solution for now. Any hope
on some sort of upstream fix coming down?

Again, no, there is nothing the kernel can do, it is a broken BIOS
you are dealing with, please push your vendor to provide an updated,
fixed, one.

Dislaimer: IIRC, both points below are from phoronix.

Which should never really be trusted.

Seriously.

At least one vendor has already declared that they see no need to
fix this as it works on Windows.

That's true, and that vendor doesn't care about Linux, so there's
nothing we can do about it.

There is something that can be done: "Fix" the drivers individually to
turn on the powersaving.

And exactly how can that be done? Specifics are needed as no one has
yet been able to determine how to do this.

Ok, I spoke too soon, we might have a fix:
https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/11/10/467

Will see how this goes, so perhaps this will be resolved in a few
months.

thanks,

greg k-h
Yay!