Re: [opensuse-factory] Kernel boot parameters by default, feature 312962
On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 06:08:35AM -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 08:29:27 PM Greg KH wrote:
On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 08:13:23PM -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
acpi_osi=Linux identifies the OS to the BIOS helping fix power and other
issues.

Not a good idea, please never do that, you will then be running BIOS
code that has never been tested by the BIOS vendor.

If this is needed, please let the kernel developers know what is going
wrong, we should work exactly like other operating systems and not need
to tell the BIOS differently.

pcie_aspm=force fixes power regression issue shown here;

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2638_aspm&num=1

Only works on some machines, not others, be careful, it can lock your
machine up hard.

Only enable it if you have tested that you really need it. You have
been warned.

greg k-h
I use these so my machine would stop sounding like a vaccum cleaner. But you
are the kernel geek.

Insults will get you no where.

Question now is, can we do something upstream to help the issues that
these parameters correct for me and others?

Again, the first one should not be used unless your BIOS really is
broken.

The second one is not enabled because, again, some BIOSes are broken and
lie so we need to be safe so that your machine doesn't break, there's
nothing we can do automatically to enable this to be safe so that is why
it is the way it is.

greg k-h