Re: [opensuse-factory] gdm launch failure
Le mardi 08 novembre 2011, à 08:49 +0100, Ludwig Nussel a écrit :
Vincent Untz wrote:
Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011, à 12:07 +0100, Vincent Untz a écrit :
Le vendredi 04 novembre 2011, à 11:35 +0100, Stefan Dirsch a écrit :
Add gdm to video group. ;-) I didn't see such an issue with KDE/kdm. What
has
changed in kdm?

I thought we wanted to avoid adding users to specific groups like this?
We can do this, of course; I just want to be sure that it's the right
way forward, or if it's just a temporary workaround (for 12.1).

Ping? Should we go this way, and just for 12.1 or forever? There's a
submit request from Dominique that does this, and we just need
confirmation...

It would be a workaround forever I guess. AFAIK /dev/nvidia* is not
created via udev, therefore not known to udev, therefore no ACLs so
no access for the desktop. That's the only reason why we still add
users to the video group. So you need to do that for gdm too then.

Ok, thanks.

Shouldn't there be a fallback in case GL doesn't work though?

There is a fallback mode, but the "GL doesn't work" detection code
apparently detects things are fine in that case -- no idea why. It'd be
weird to have gnome-shell for users and fallback in gdm, though.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.