Re: [opensuse-factory] 234 packages with reportedly newer upstream version
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 16:05:28 -0400
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Marcus Meissner <meissner@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 02:15:59PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 3:37 AM, Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Thanks to Marcus and Vincent, the build service knows about new upstream
versions and you can easily query them by going here:

https://build.opensuse.org/project/status?project=openSUSE%3AFactory&limit_to_old=true&limit_to_fails=false

Note that some of these versions are false positives for various reasons,
but
most of them will be real.

I'll dig into the perl updates now :)

Greetings, Stephan

False positive (if you care)

rdiff-backup is in your list claiming it should be at 1.3.2, but per
http://www.nongnu.org/rdiff-backup/ 1.2.8 is still currently the
stable release and that's what factory has.  (1.2.8 is a couple years
old so a update hasn't been done/needed in the devel project for a
while.)

http://freshmeat.net/projects/rdiff-backup has 1.3.2.

Ciao, Marcus

For good or for bad, rdiff-backup seems to follow the old even numbers
for stable releases and odd for unstable reeases.

So looking at freshmeat you'll see that there are 1.2.x releases and
1.3.x releases going back and forth.

How a freshmeat user is supposed to know 1.2.8 is the latest stable
and 1.3.2 the latest unstable, I don't know. And given 1.3.2 came out
2+ years ago it's probably pretty stable too.

I'm not the maintainer (but I am a user), so I'll go back to lurking.

Greg