Re: [opensuse-factory] New package: hg-fast-export
  • From: Guido Berhoerster <gber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 10:45:09 +0200
* Michal Vyskocil <mvyskocil@xxxxxxx> [2011-09-15 14:26]:
But sometimes it's very suprising for me. For example when I learned
about a fact, that local branches are not supported by default

http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/Branch
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/LocalBranches
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/LocalbranchExtension

or you cannot easy delete your topic named branch you made and did not
publish
http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/PruningDeadBranches

It is possible to get similar behavior with stock Mercurial, you
just don't use named branches for that since they're conceptually
different from git's branches. With hg bookmarks you can probably
get very close to a git-like workflow with short-lived feature
branches. If a branch is very short-lived and you don't need to
switch around you could even use an anonymous branch (i.e. by
just comitting to a particular revision). A third alternative
would be to use mq which allows for easy rebasing and editing of
changes before turing them into permanent commits.
--
Guido Berhoerster