Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Replacing default gzip and bzip2 command line tools
Am Sonntag, 4. September 2011, 17:30:11 schrieb Per Jessen:
Ralf Lang wrote:
Am Sonntag, 4. September 2011, 15:51:28 schrieb Per Jessen:
Philipp Thomas wrote:
On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 00:51:09 +0200, Rüdiger Meier <sweet_f_a@xxxxxx>

wrote:
To say it again I like pigz. But renaming ... ?

Why not replacing it in /usr/bin/compress - the Posix way to define
a Z compressor. If user asks for gzip please give him gzip.

Then 99% of all users will continue to use gzip just because they
don't know better.

Which isn't really a problem, is it?

If it wasn't viewed as the wrong thing, the question had not been
raised.

Thank you, I am aware of that. I was trying to argue that that view is
wrong.

Ok, then I missunderstood you a bit. Thank you for clarifying.

In the sense of 'it has been working before' you are certainly right. In the
sense of 'this is the right way for now and later', I am not so certain. This
is, if interfaces are in fact compatible (there was some dispute on this). If
the process accepts the gzip input parameters and spits out gzip files, I see
no need to guarantee which 'gzipper' sits in between.

The arguments for using gzip at all in automated tasks are fast results and
backwards compatibility - as opposed to best feasible compression. Speed could
be improved by pigz, compatibility of the resulting archives is not broken.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer

B1 Systems GmbH