[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: KDE 4.7 unreliable [was: Status: Milestone5]
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2011 15:16:38 -0400
Bruno Friedmann wrote:

[snip]

Uhm strange, and working under factory with kernel 3.0 or 3.1 I didn't
have the choice to use old drivers With a new quadro 2000M and 280.13 I
didn't get any trouble on desktop effects.

The trouble found are more directly linked to kde softwares.
4.7.1 will be there (KDF) September 6.

Have read about work in KWin, so am looking forward to it.

When I disable desktop effects in all the versions newer than 260.19.44 it
'almost' works OK. Of course I loose transparency in the plasma bar at
bottom and its popups. The titlebar will disappear and turn black when the
cursor moves over it on some window decorations. A partial workaround for
that specific thing can be to simply select something like Plastik where
this doesn't seem to happen.

The killer for me is performance. When you click a menu item to bring up its
popup submenu, the submenu will be sort of dark and when you move the cursor
to it eventually it "catches up" and shows the background it's supposed to.
There is a lag when hovering the cursor over anything. The really bad
symptom shows up in Konsole - type any character and it takes 6 seconds
before it echoes to the screen. Type something like 'ls -al' and it might be
as bad as 10 or 20 seconds before it responds.

Will continue to tinker with it as I can find time to play with it outside
the work day. I need this box for work so I stick with what works and
Clonezilla a backup I can roll back to after playing around. In the past I
have seen driver code changes made by Nvidia folks break stuff in KWin.
Usually their retort is something along the lines of "we made it better so
now the Kwin folks need to adjust...." yada yada..... So possibly the work
that has gone into KWin recently might just clean up the problem - I've seen
it happen before. So I wait and see how 4.7.1 does.

-Mike