Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Replacing default gzip and bzip2 command line tools
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajohansson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Sep 2011 10:21:07 +0200
On Thursday 01 September 2011 00:57:53 Rüdiger Meier wrote:
Even it's an undocumented feature I would not change it per default just
to make it faster for people who don't manage to type pigz instead of
gzip.

To me the most obvious point is that there are lots of scripts out there that
call gzip. Command line invocations aren't the big deal. It's not just about
"type this instead of that", it's about changing all the scripts.

Maybe it can be done with update-alternatives? :)

Both gzip and bzip2 are way too slow. I'm not sure how this new pigz thing
measures against xz, but when I tested xz I was very impressed by both speed
and compression ratios. We need improvements

Ideally we should have a "meta compressor", one program with one set of
parameters, and a configurable backend, selectable through configuration,
preferably in YaST. That way everything is API compatible, and the admin can
select what he wants in a nice and easy way as the default. Multiple
executables shouldn't be necessary in an open source world, developing a new
compression algorithm should just involve developing a new backend library to
the standard. Everything would then be able to take advantage of a new
compression without changing any code. Ah, dreams...

Anders