Re: [opensuse-factory] logger only working with strace?
Am Wed, 24 Aug 2011 09:34:51 +0200
schrieb Peter Czanik <pczanik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

On 08/19/2011 02:11 PM, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
Hi all,

this issue is so strange, that I'd first like to ask if someone else is
also seeing this before filing a bug report :-)

System:
* pretty current FACTORY
* running systemd
* running rsyslogd

Symptoms:
* "logger foo" does nothing. No entry in /var/log/messages or anywhere
* "strace logger foo" does work.
* "echo foo > /dev/kmsg" also works as a workaround.

anyone else seeing this?
I did not try strace, but gave a quick test to syslog-ng (as I'm from
syslog-ng upstream...). It's only slightly better: the first "logger
bla" seems to come through, but no more additional logs until restart.

Even with strace is is not totally reliable, but it seems to increase the
chance of getting the message through.

In another thread, when I asked about systemd and syslog-ng packaging, I
got this answer:
"Werner is working on a systemd-generator which should take care of

systemd .service generation at startup for syslog-ng.

I'd say, don't worry for systemd right now."

So I suppose, that if you need logging, you should change back to sysvinit
for now...

Well, for my scripts something like that works :-)

logger() {
echo $@ > /dev/kmsg
}

but is of course not a solution.

The funny thing is that I did check with "fuser /dev/log" and then
attached strace to all those processes (systemd (pid 1),
systemd-kmsg-syslogd (pid 347) and rsyslogd (pid 1090), and though
"strace logger foo" clearly shows that something was sent to the /dev/log
socket, none of the 3 processes even got woken up.

Maybe it is not even a systemd issue but something in the kernel? (FACTORY
and Kernel-HEAD are pretty outdated, so maybe it's something already fixed
upstream?)

Thanks for checking,

Stefan
--
Stefan Seyfried

"Dispatch war rocket Ajax to bring back his body!"