Re: [opensuse-factory] RFC: Replacing default gzip and bzip2 command line tools
On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 07:53:36PM -0400, Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

I would like to propose replacing (not removing) the default command
line tools for compression, specifically "gzip" for "pigz" and "bzip2"
for pbzip2.
These tools are backward compatible and have dramatically better
performance because they do compression in parallel utilizing current
multiple CPU machines.

Possible paths to do this

a) Simple adding "update-alternatives" support to all the mentioned
tools and let the user to decide, however we install pigz and pbzip2 by
default. I do not endorse this way.

Arguments please. update-alternatives is a mechanism we use for other
alternatives we provide and is known to work. Therefore I would prefer
if we reuse the same mechanism for pbzip2.

What are the drawbacks you see with this mechanism?

Independet of this point moving to pbzip2 as new default I appreciate.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]
Samba Team