[opensuse-factory] Re: Re: Audio mixer
  • From: Michael Powell <nightrecon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 08:41:33 -0400
madworm_de.novell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

[snip[
This 'spitch' issue has been in openFATE for almost a year now. If it
actually is the same that annoys you. I almost got deaf while listening to
music on my laptop + headphones.

Yup - it's been that way for a while.

https://features.opensuse.org/310668

Just add this line to /etc/pulse/daemon.conf:

flat-volumes = no

Thanks - nice to know. Will give it a try next time I evaluate Pulse Audio.
Every so often around major release time I look over past deficiencies to
look for improvements. When something is better than what it replaces I go
with it, if not I use what was.

Case in point: Gstreamer and VLC backends for Phonon still have no equalizer
last time I played around. Since when I listen to MP3 streams as quiet
background music it is really nice to tweak the response curves when volume
is low. SO I still use phonon-xine backend.

My problem with the latest and greatest 'new and improved' is I don't
consider it useful to me if it isn't at least able to perform features that
were once contained in what went before. When 'new and improved with wazoo
new features' kills off useful functionality just for the sake of being
'new' I consider it 2 steps forward with 3 back.

-Mike